Serenity

Serenity
Serenity

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Poet's Work is Never Done


Though I am not an avid reader of Whitman, (I know what you must be thinking...what kind of English major doesn't like Whitman?) I cannot help but respect his enormous contribution to American literature and life with "O Captain! My Captain!" Yes, I realize that most of you are sick of hearing about this poem, but I am going to talk about it anyway because it is my blog.
Whitman is obviously referring to Abraham Lincoln as the captain in the poem. At the beginning of the poem, the narrator is rejoicing because they have won the "fearful trip" or the Civil War. Elated about their victory, the narrator can hear the crowds celebrating on the nearby port, "the bells i heard, the people all exulting"(3). People have been given the ultimate "prize", freedom and emancipation. The captain is also referred to as "my father." This name further drives the point that the poem is about the father of our country at the time, Lincoln. Lincoln dies only after accomplishing his dream of freedom, or voyage in terms of the poem, "The ship is anchor'd safe, its voyage closed and done" (20). Another symbol that further proves my point is the ship. The captain in the poem died with his ship as most captions do. Coincidentally, Lincoln died the same year the Civil War was officially over, leading one to believe that he too died with his metaphoric ship.

Frost's "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" paints a serene image for the reader. The delicate images of falling snow drift like the reader thoughts. I immediately envisioned the untouched snow, the cold silence of the wind seeping into my lungs, and the frozen lake reflecting my self-consciousness. The owner of the woods seems indifferent to its' beauty and innocence, "He will not see me stopping here/ To watch his woods fill up with snow" (3-4). The owner does not appreciate the beauty that the narrator sees in the words. The narrator's horse, too, is unable to see and appreciate the splendor that surrounds him and " asks if there is some mistake"(9). The woods are a place for the narrator to reminisce and drift off into a realm without obligations and restrictions. Even though the narrator identifies with the woods, for they are "lovely, dark, and deep" like his thoughts, he must leave because he has obligations to attend to. No one can live in a state of serenity forever. Unfortunately, everyone must accept the world for what it is, but Frost wants us to take a little time to appreciate what little peace and beauty there is left in the world...

... even if it is all just a daydream.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your analysis of Whitman. I enjoy learning about Lincoln and Lincoln related history, whatnot, but I hadn't connected the Civil War with his "ship" from this poem. I'd read it before even and never made that connection. Every day brings a new point of view. :)

    ReplyDelete